French Lessons with our Mauritian Airbnb Host
On our trip to Mauritius, we roped our poor Airbnb host, Devina, into giving us some French lessons. Let’s just say that French is a tough nut to crack.
Here is a useful guide to skip through the video (time – English | French (phonetic spelling):
- 00:00 – Hello | Bonjour (bohn-ZHOOR)
- 00:20 – Goodbye | Au revoir (oh ruh-VWAHR)
- 00:45 – How are you? (informal) | Comment ça va ? (kaw-mahng sah VAH)
- 00:55 – Yes | Oui (WEE)
- 00:59 – No | Non (NOHN)
- 01:03 – Excuse me | Pardon (pahr-DOHN)
- 01:09 – Please (formal) | S’il vous plaît (seel voo PLEH)
- 01:21 – Thank you | Merci (merr-SEE)
- 01:29 – My name is ______ | Je m’appelle ______ (zhuh mah-PELL _____)
- 01:47 – What is your name? (informal) | Comment t’appelles-tu? (kaw-mahng tah-pell TEW?)
- 02:07 – I don’t understand | Je ne comprends pas (zhuh nuh KOHM-prahn pah)
- 02:33 – Counting
- 1 un/une (uhn)/(uun)
- 2 deux (duh)
- 3 trois (trwah)
- 4 quatre (kahtr)
- 5 cinq (sank)
- 6 six (sees)
- 7 sept (set)
- 8 huit (weet)
- 9 neuf (neuf)
- 10 dix (deece)
- 02:55 – Place Names
- Grand Bassin
- Beau Bassin
- Mont Choisy
- Quatre Bornes
- Le Morne
- Flic en Flac
- Grand Gaube
If you are heading to Mauritius, be sure to check out Devina’s listing on Airbnb. She was an amazing Airbnb host and we left feeling like family.
Also check out these posts about Mauritius:
- 6 Tips to Live Like a Local in Mauritius: Want to have a completely unique and authentic experience of an Indian Ocean island? Check out these tips to live like a local in Mauritius.
- Uncover Secret Mauritius and Avoid these Tourist Traps: Heading to Mauritius? Before you leave the comfort of your resort, read this. Find out which tourist traps to avoid, which attractions are touristy but worth it and (for the adventurous) how to uncover secret Mauritius.
- Forget What You Know – This is the Real Mauritius: There is so much more to Mauritius than we could ever have imagined. Join us on a journey as we discover the Real Mauritius in this photo essay of its beautiful, diverse and friendly people.