Glamping in Africa: Onguma Tented Camp
If building tents, shared showers and dust are not your thing, we suggest you try “glamping” in Africa. It is like camping but just so, so, so much better.
What is Glamping?
Glamping is like camping but only better. Glamorous camping brings together the best of camping and luxury travel, allowing guests to intimately experience a destination while enjoying all the creature comforts they might expect at a 5-star resort.
Imagine waking up in your tented camp, throwing on a soft white robe and slippers and stepping onto a private deck overlooking an African waterhole. As the sun rises you kick back and watch as animals come and go while sipping on freshly brewed coffee.
Or escape the midday heat of the African sun in a refreshing plunge pool with views of a storm brewing on the horizon. Order cocktails in the shade of an African thorn tree and snack on the afternoon tea platter of cakes and coffee.
And when night falls and romance calls? Surprise a special someone with a thousand candles (not to be outdone by the African sky – filled with a thousand stars). Enjoy a long relaxing bubble bath with a view or a private outdoor shower under the night sky.
Glamping in Africa – Onguma Tented Camp
After spending two weeks sleeping in the back of Adam’s Mercedes Benz panel van (Carlito the Vito) we finally arrived at Onguma – an oasis of luxury bordering Etosha National Park, Namibia, on the East.
Located on a 34,000 hectare private game reserve and a short drive from the Etosha’s Eastern gates, the Onguma Tented Camp is the ideal spot from where to enjoy Etosha in luxury. With only 7 luxury tents – this is an exclusive and private experience like no other.
The 7 luxury tents fringe a spectacular waterhole and all have private decks where guests can sit and enjoy the stunning views. Even though tents are all built in quite close proximity to each other, each tent is very private – making it easy to forget about other guest. Expect comfortable beds with mosquito nets, ample plug points, hairdryers, tea/ coffee, an oversized bath and both and indoor and outdoor shower.
The communal areas include:
- a stunning plunge pool, where guests can enjoy poolside cocktails
- a comfortable lounge area, where afternoon tea/ coffee/ cakes are served
- an elegant dining area, where buffet breakfast and set menu lunches/ dinners are served
- many cozy spots to sit and enjoy the company of other guests during rain storms or watch a roaring fire at night with a local beer in hand
The entire property has access to wifi and (though it is not super fast) it was definitely the best internet we experienced in Namibia. Let’s be honest though – who needs to stream anything when you have Africa right on your doorstep?
You can book your stay at Onguma’s Tented Camp online here.
But if the Tented Camp does not match your budget or travel needs, Onguma has a few other lodges on the same property that might (listed below from most to least expensive):
- The Fort – ultra-exclusive, Moroccan-inspired suites
- Tree Top Camp – like the Tented Camp, this offers a glamping experience but with a little bit more camping and little bit less luxury up in the trees
- Bush Camp – geared towards families with a games room and loads of space
- Aoba Lodge – featuring bungalows and colonial-inspired decor
- Tamboti Luxury Campsite – real camping just outside Etosha offering top-class camping facilities at a much better rate than the campsites inside Etosha
Thank you Onguma!
We loved every minute of our stay at the Onguma Tented Camp. It was definitely a highlight of our trip to Namibia and a welcome change from the back of the panel van. We would like to thank Onguma for making our stay possible and for welcoming us with true Namibia charm.
Plan your trip to Namibia
Download our Free Namibia Travel Guide. Packed with more than 100 pages of amazing photography to inspire your trip and loads of useful tips.